Our first day of language school
Today, Adam and Michelle started our first day of language school at the Joint Language School in Addis Ababa to attempt to learn Amharic. I was feeling a little bit nervous about starting this difficult language. There are letters (or fidels) in the language. I walk around and feel like I am looking at squiggles and hearing nonsensical noise.
But today was awesome! We will be learning via the GPA system. Growing Participator Approach:
http://growingparticipatorapproach.wordpress.com/the-growing-participator-approach-gpa-a-brief-state-of-the-art-and-some-practical-illustrations/
Like a baby, we start our language learning with listening and pointing only. This allows us to understand the language first. Later, we will start to talk and finally learn the alphabet and to read and write. Basically, what it looked like today is we heard words, pointed at objects and played with dolls.
I hope the rest of the schooling is just as fun!
And Cole had a great day with Wendy. She arrived safe and sound. They played, read books, heard words, pointed at pictures and played with dolls. It seems that Adam and I have regressed to toddlers ;)
But today was awesome! We will be learning via the GPA system. Growing Participator Approach:
http://growingparticipatorapproach.wordpress.com/the-growing-participator-approach-gpa-a-brief-state-of-the-art-and-some-practical-illustrations/
Like a baby, we start our language learning with listening and pointing only. This allows us to understand the language first. Later, we will start to talk and finally learn the alphabet and to read and write. Basically, what it looked like today is we heard words, pointed at objects and played with dolls.
I hope the rest of the schooling is just as fun!
And Cole had a great day with Wendy. She arrived safe and sound. They played, read books, heard words, pointed at pictures and played with dolls. It seems that Adam and I have regressed to toddlers ;)
Comments
Post a Comment