Success as a physician in Ethiopia
So this is the beginning of many thoughts and blogs that I have wanted to write, but never had the time for. The Lord encouraged me to write them, even though many months later, to remind myself, and anyone else who reads them, of his faithfulness during our journey.
One of the biggest challenges I have had to face is the constant illness and death. It is all around in Ethiopia and at times can be overwhelming. As I entered our time here I didn't realize how much of my sense of being a "good" doctor or successful at my profession was very western. I found that I judged my success based on my patient outcomes. In a hospital where death is no stranger, it was very easy for me to feel "bad" at my job and found it difficult to remain hopeful and optimistic as things felt futile and felt inadequate.
But the reality is that my success and worth is not measured by patient outcomes, and if patient's live or die. My success is measured by how I can make a difference in the circumstances in front of me with what I have. When patients show up late in their disease, there is only so much I can do. Or when they need medications I don't have, I can't take it personally as failure, but that I am doing the best I can. My success is in teaching the nurses, the midwives and the residents (we have general surgery residents) medical knowledge. My success is in loving my patients well, despite their circumstances. My success is in being kind to those around me and showing the light of Christ even in the darkest and most stressful situations.
And my worth and identity is found as a daughter of Christ. That identity exists because of who God made me to be, not based on what I do or what I accomplish. You are chosen, you are God's special possession. What a privilege to remember this especially in those dark places.
9But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 1 peter 2:9
One of the biggest challenges I have had to face is the constant illness and death. It is all around in Ethiopia and at times can be overwhelming. As I entered our time here I didn't realize how much of my sense of being a "good" doctor or successful at my profession was very western. I found that I judged my success based on my patient outcomes. In a hospital where death is no stranger, it was very easy for me to feel "bad" at my job and found it difficult to remain hopeful and optimistic as things felt futile and felt inadequate.
But the reality is that my success and worth is not measured by patient outcomes, and if patient's live or die. My success is measured by how I can make a difference in the circumstances in front of me with what I have. When patients show up late in their disease, there is only so much I can do. Or when they need medications I don't have, I can't take it personally as failure, but that I am doing the best I can. My success is in teaching the nurses, the midwives and the residents (we have general surgery residents) medical knowledge. My success is in loving my patients well, despite their circumstances. My success is in being kind to those around me and showing the light of Christ even in the darkest and most stressful situations.
And my worth and identity is found as a daughter of Christ. That identity exists because of who God made me to be, not based on what I do or what I accomplish. You are chosen, you are God's special possession. What a privilege to remember this especially in those dark places.
9But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 1 peter 2:9
awesome. thanks for sharing Michelle!
ReplyDeleteA very eloquent post. May you continue to find opportunities in all of the challenges!
ReplyDeleteHmmm. Thanks for sharing. Such truth here! Praying for you to remember this when you return!
ReplyDelete